Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends …
Or at least that what it feels like with this project. I installed my first pieces of rigging yesterday as a test. Measuring is a bit of a challenge. First you need good measurements. I started out using the factory measurements, but it appears mine is not standard. Easy enough to remedy, just measure your rig before you start. Oh, and don’t forget to add in the bury part of the splice for BOTH ends. I didn’t and it cost me another $300 to buy more line for my longest pieces. The hard part is figuring out how to set your measurements. when you do the splice the piece will shrink considerably. But then some of that will stretch out when the piece is set up taught. I will have more details on this when I am finished.
My initial impressions so far:
1) Forget about the mad Haitian with a machete, this stuff is TOUGH. Could not even faze it with a large pair of scissors or a very sharp knife. I had to use tin snips to cut it, and even that is not easy.
2) Very stiff to begin with, but softens up when fiddled with.
3) Splicing is easy as far as type goes, but it is time consuming. Also your hands will get sore if you try to many at once. On a scale of 1-5 with swaged fittings by a rigging shop a 1 and wire eye splices a 5, I would rate this a 3.
4) The most difficult part is getting the measurements right.
That’s all for now. Will update more next weekend.