Bristol Channel Cutter "Angelsea" (Shanti)

Off the dock and on the hook

Ahhhh….feels good to be back out in the breeze with my hatches scooping up air! Between the rain and the heat I didn’t get as much done as I wanted to. But I did get the main purpose of the dock time finished, which was the modification of the bowsprit for my new furler system.

Shanti at the dock, Yacht Haven Grand

Shanti at the dock, Yacht Haven Grand

I have taken off the bow rollers and reshaped the sprit all the way back to the gammon iron. I had to remove the cranes iron to fit on the bowsprit traveler. I also installed some brass half round on the bottom of the sprit for the traveler to ride on under tension. Completely re varnished and painted the sprit using Honey Teak, and white Easypoxy.

"new" bowsprit

"new" bowsprit

Bowsprit traveler

Bowsprit traveler

Brass half round installed.

Brass half round installed.

While I was at it I decided to also refinish the sampson posts, as they were checking pretty badly. Used the Honey teak on them also. It will be interesting how the Honey Teak holds up with abrasion from lines. Being a 2 part epoxy type system I think it will do well. Couldn’t get the ash to clean up well without a LOT of sanding. So I used a mahogany stain under the Hoeny teak.

Samson posts ... BEFORE

Samson posts ... BEFORE

Sampson posts ... AFTER

Sampson posts ... AFTER

While I was on the dock I did some other maintenence. I stripped the main hatch and varnished it with the Honey teak. I left the planking natural and oiled it. I have never used oil before so we will see how much up keep it requires. I don’t like varnishinh over deck caulking as the varnish ALWAYS cracks then the whole job goes to hell real fast. So we will see. Also, the companion way trim, ¬†eyebrow and tiller were striped. I still need to varnish those, but thats next weekend.

Main hatch stripped and ready for sanding/varnish

Main hatch stripped and ready for sanding/varnish

Done!

Done!

Sanding and stripping (without a pole!)

Sanding and stripping (without a pole!)

I mentioned in an earlier post that my staineless was nearing the end of it’s life. The rig is 20 years old. I was seeing a lot of rusting no matter how much I cleaned and polished. Here is a shackle for my stays’l halyard. I would guess that is the orginal from when Shanti was built. While de-rigging the sprit, this shackle literaly fell apart. You can see it right at the pivot pin. A big reason to start re-rigging and closely watching my chain plates now … god I hate stainless. Give me bronze ANY day. Also another reason for the new synthetic rigging.

Disintigrated stainless steel shackle

Disintigrated stainless steel shackle

Heres Shanti patiently waiting for the rest of the hardware for her new furler and synthetic rigging. Charlotte Amalie Harbor, St. Thomas.

Back on the mooring.

Back on the mooring.

Now I have to take my jib, lapper and drifter to the sailmaker here for modification. This will included an anti-torsion, low strecth luff line. my next post will cover this and the installation of the furler.

Now to go have some fun today at Honeymoon Beach. Maybe even drink to excess … hic!