Dyneema Rigging test/tune
Tuesday we finally got some wind to test/tune the Dyneema rigging. Wind was SE at 10-12 knots. It seems I got the rig fairly taught when I did the static tune on the hook. The worst offender was the cap shroud once loaded. It was fairly slack on the lee side.
I used a marlin spike along with a marlin spike hitch to do the tweaking on the Dyneema rig. I untied the offending shroud, then hauled on the lanyard with all my might with the marlin spike. This technique got the shroud snug. We tacked over and snugged up the other side.
Hauling on the lanyard with a marlin spike.
So how did the boat perform with her new Dyneema rigging?
Definitely stiffer as would be expected. In the gusts ( from 10 to around 14) she stood up amazingly well and just accelerated. When we went over some large boat wakes she pitched much less and did not cycle through another pitch after going over the wake.
All in all it was great day. Beautiful with a 10-2 knot breeze. Great company. My Main squeeze, Deb along with Kevin from a pretty little gaffer the Ruth Avery.
New years eve Deb and I plan on sailing over to Jost Van Dyke and try and make the party at Foxy’s. Weather permitting. Leaving St. Thomas we will have to beat into some predicted heavy trade winds (20kts). It will be the true test of the Dyneeema rigging and it’s performance. After our little tune up sail, I have high expectations. When we return I will post a full report on this fascinating project.
My loyal crew. Kevin and Deb.
Until next week….CHEERS and a Happy New Year!